Thursday, November 22, 2007

It's Thanksgiving and...

Last week we had College Life we read the last half of John 6 where Jesus said:

"I am the bread of life."

I bet we all ate really tasty bread today. And turkey. And ham, maybe, if you like ham. (I love it :)) And sweet potato pie and all sorts of other delicious food. AND WE ARE FULL.

But what I am realizing with my full and (temporarily) satisfied stomach, is that I AM DESPERATE. I am full of food, but that's not what I'm most desperate for.

More than a delicious Thanksgiving meal, I'd really rather gorge myself on something that offers me permanent satisfaction--don't you?

If you read that chapter: John 6, you see Jesus feed 5,000 men at the begining part of it. Then the people follow Jesus to the other side of the sea because they are amazed by His ability to feed all these people with so much food ("until they were satisfied"). And here's the fabulous dialogue afterwards:

People: "Rabbi, when did you get here?" (lame question for the Messiah)
Jesus: "You want to be with me because I fed you, not because you understood the miraculous signs. But don't be so concerned with perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you."
(John 6:25-27 NLV)

Here's my point: we'd rather eat a feast (a free one for the folks in this story and many of us whose families fed us today) than spending our energy SEEKING eternal life that ONLY Jesus can give. It's true. I do it. You do it.

And He loves us anyway. Dang THAT'S good stuff.

No comments: